While you may not have heard of it, the concept of a non-diet approach has been around since the 1970's. It is the approach detailed in my favorite book of all time, Intuitive Eating by Elyse Resch and Evelyn Tribole.
In the past I thought maintaining a healthy weight was all about diet and exercise. I have come to see that this approach is actually contributing to weight gain (and eating disorders). Finally I was exposed to a better way.
When you eat intuitively, you are returning to the natural way you are supposed to eat. Have you ever seen a person who seems to eat whatever they want and maintain a stable weight? Then you have witnessed intuitive eating in action.
You see, the key to healthy eating is not about what you eat. It is about all of the more important questions of:
If you have had enough of the restrictive roller coaster, then you are ready for intuitive eating. Diets fail 98% of the time. You could give it one more try, but that leads me to ask:
Q: What is the definition of insanity?
A: Doing the same thing over and over, expecting to get a different result.
People will argue they do achieve a lower weight by counting calories and exercising more. That's true, in the short term. However, 95% of people will regain whatever was lost within one year (98% by 5 years). People blame themselves for the 'failure', but it is this restrictive approach that is to blame.
"The focus must shift from achieving weight loss to developing a normal relationship with food."
In this group, we will explore:
- Intuitive versus restrictive eating (why this approach)
- Meal timing (to boost metabolism and minimize overeating)
- Meal combining (to promote satisfaction and prevent excessive hunger)
- Legalizing all foods to stop binges (why thinking food is bad just makes you eat more)
- Honoring hunger and fullness cues (use your stomach, not your head to tell you how much to eat)
- Separating food and feelings (end emotional eating, including boredom, stress, etc.)
- Body image (how feeling fat promotes weight gain, and what to do about it)
Who would benefit from this program?
* Anyone struggling with their weight and eating habits
* Anyone who has tried diets in the past and then regained the weight
* Anyone who is in the later stages of recovery from an eating disorder
* Anyone who wants to understand how to eat healthy in an uncomplicated way
When you have had enough of the frustration and disappointment... you are ready to take this course. It will give you the opportunity to have a life free of constant worry about food and body. As someone who has been on both sides, I can tell you it's much better over here.
What does the program include?
--Intuitive Eating lessons
--Skills to enhance self-soothing without food
--Handouts for quick reminders of program topics
--Bi-Weekly support group meetings (email support if homestudy)
If you are interested in the Intuitive Eating group please feel free to fill out the form below or contact us.
Read More About Intuitive Eating:Nutritionist
Contact us with any questions about eating and mental health issues. You or someone you know may be in need of outpatient eating disorder treatment.